Sunday, August 19, 2012

Touring Bhaktapur

Yesterday I visited Bhaktapur with a new friend who offered to take me around for a the day with his family. The city dates back to the 8th century and it was actually the capital of Nepal until at least the 12th - 15th century. It is a Newari city



There are big ponds around the outside of the city, which are filled with fish. My friend has a 2 1/2 year old son who was really excited to feed the 'fishys', so we sat around the pond for a little bit and made some fish extremely happy.


Apparently there is a Newari saying that 'if you take the fish home, they will turn into snakes', which is why no one takes them from the pond and it remains full of very large fish.

I could see hills all around the city while I walked around - a bit like in the background of my last photo. My friend said that in October the sky will be a less hazy and one will be able to see the mountain range.

No comments:

Post a Comment