Sunday, August 26, 2012

Nepali cooking 101: Momo

Since arriving I've been learning more about the Nepali cuisine and have tried so many different local dishes - everything from buffalo brain to tasty daal bhaat. Momo, which are somewhat similar to steamed dumplings, are one of my favorite things to eat.

Today I took a cooking class with Social Tours in order to learn how to cook momo. The class began by shopping for ingredients...

The cabbage, red onions, carrot, coriander, green spring onions, ginger and garlic had to be very finely chopped/ground and then mixed together with the spices - turmeric, cumin, red chili powder, garammasala and MoMoMasala. The tomatoes were used to make a spicey sauce that goes well with the momos. The dough part of momos is a mixture of flour and water. We made vegetarian momo and chicken momo.

The toughest part (also the most fun) was actually wrapping the momo with the dough because it's a bit of an art form in itself.
That is my first attempt at folding a momo! It's definitely not perfect and a bit too squashed, but I think I improved with practice. This momo was folded using a round technique, but we also made another style which are longer and more like a fan shape. After folding the momos, they went into a steamer for roughly 15 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed with your momo making skills. I saw this article in the nytimes on momos and have wanted to try them ever since! http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/dining/momos-tibetans-forbidden-special-treat.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting article. I'll need to keep practicing my momo skills so that I can make them with you some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mirabella, thanks so much for coming to the cooking course at socialtours. we really enjoyed having you here, and thanks again for the wonderful article on your blog. We have linked it to our facebook page online at www.facebook.com/socialtours.np and also on our COOK like a LOCAL page www.facebook.com/cooklikealocal ... I hope you do not mind!

    Raj Gyawali
    socialtours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Raj, I'm glad you liked my blog on the cooking class. I had a great time!

    ReplyDelete