Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A quick stop at Durbar Square and dinner

I plan to return again, but I happened to walk by Durbar Square and only took a few photos of the surrounding area. This square dates back to the 11th century and is another UNESCO World Heritage Site.


Last night my friend P invited me to visit his family home and to eat some home-made Nepali food with them. It was such a treat and I feel really lucky to have been included in dinner. The house is situated right near Durbar Square and it is a historical sight in itself. The house is hundreds of years old and the family is not allowed to make renovations because of it's history. It was a beautiful home with a courtyard and multiple floors. The ceilings are all very low, partially because the average Nepali is only 5 foot 3 inches tall and also because it is built to be resistant to Nepal's frequent earthquakes.


We had a number of appetizers to start (fried fish, spiced peanuts, pickled vegetables, cooked soy beans, fried chicken, papadums, etc) and then for dinner we had Dhal Bhaat. It included a portion of rice with different foods that you mix into it. Last night we had chicken, chickpeas and a tomato pickle sauce. There is also a bamboo soup that I didn't include in the photo. Everything was delicious and very filling!

My friend's brother gave me a lift home on his motorcycle, which was an incredibly easy and fast way to get through the narrow streets with traffic. Now I understand why so many people choose to drive motorcycles here...if only I could too!



No comments:

Post a Comment