Monday, October 29, 2012

Pokhara cont'd: Flying time!

Every day I spent in Pokhara became better and better: the sky seemed a bit clearer each day and we had even clearer views of the white snowy Himalayan peaks from Pokhara's lake, Phewa Tal.

Monday (the following day after seeing the sunrise in Sarangkot) I decided to give paragliding a try.
I scheduled tandem paragliding with a group called Sunrise Tours, located in Lakeside, and they drove my group of eight people up to Sarangkot, from where we would take off. Once at the top we were partnered with a guide, who in a few seconds explained how we had to run forward down a short slope and (hopefully) have the wind pick us up as we moved forward. Surprisingly it wasn't as scary as I expected - my take off went as planned and I was flying!!

The views from the air were spectacular and I stared out in amazement for the majority of my 30 minute flight. I was also surprised by how powerful the wind felt and couldn't believe that it was the only thing keeping me in the air as I slowly circled my way down.
While it was amazing to be flying through the air, I must admit that I was really happy once back on land. Something about the way we moved in the wind and spun in circles made me quite nauseous.  Instead of taking the jeep from our landing place back to the town, a few of my friends and I chose to walk back and just enjoy being on the ground. We strolled slowly along the lake and shared stories of our flights.

The rest of our day was very relaxed. We simply enjoyed the good weather and sitting lakeside.

Next up: our trip to the city of Bandipur!

1 comment: