Monday, September 17, 2012

Secret samosa stand

Since arriving in Nepal, I've learned to be more careful about what I eat and drink, compared to other places I've travelled. I've had a few sick days since arriving - luckily nothing too serious - it's just part of life and something one needs to consider when choosing what to eat! Since I'm trying to work and have done some long road trips and field visits, I generally avoid street food and try to eat food that is fully cooked.

Now that said, a friend showed me a somewhat secret (yet very popular) street stand to buy some really tasty samosas. The samosa place is tucked away in a little courtyard off a street that is perpendicular to New Road. I think it is the second street to the left if you walk from the direction of Durbar Square...Keep walking until you see a sign with an arrow into a little courtyard which says 'Tip Top Tailors'.


People push themselves forward to the front of the stand to buy their samosa and then either take them to go or find a spot in the courtyard to enjoy immediately (what I did).


My friend treated me so I'm not exactly sure of the price, but I think he said it was 74 NRs ($0.85 USD) to buy 4 vegetable samosas.

1 comment: