Monday, September 24, 2012

Saree time

This weekend I was invited to a formal Conservation Day event, which led to my first experience of wearing a Saree (also spelled Sari). It felt like wearing a formal floor length gown, but with a twist...and with your stomach a bit exposed. A friend from work was very generous in loaning me one of her sarees for the occassion and she even had to dress me on the morning of the event. It is incredibly difficult to wrap a sari correctly without some help at first!

A saree is a very long piece of cloth that is wrapped around the waist and shoulders. The cloth can be from 5 to 9 meters long. Below is a photo of me with some fabric wrapped around my waist - but there is still a lot of fabric around me that I didn't know how to wrap and pleat.


It was a lot of fun to be dressed so nicely and I didn't have any issues of it falling off or unraveling. It probably helped that my friend used a few strategically placed safety pins for security.

Now that I've successfully worn one, I've decided that I better go shopping for my own saree.

No comments:

Post a Comment